samedi, janvier 12, 2008

Today started in a frightening way. A phone call from Morgan woke me. She had been in an accident on the 2-10 bridge. A car ahead of her had some how flipped she saw debris and then the overturned car which was taking up part of both lanes. She had slowed down after seeing the debris but she was not quick enough and hit the other vehicle.

When she called me she was calm and the police were on the scene. She was taken to Cal-Cam Hospital for x-rays. She has a broken foot, a serious bruise where her seatbelt comes across her shoulder and some other lesser bruises. We are very thankful that it was not worse than it was and she should be all healed up long before her wedding day.

I was late for work because I was at the emergency at shift change. Patrick worked over until I got to work, but I was not more than 30 minutes late. I had volunteered to cook for the crew today, and I had all the food, so it was important that I make it in today. I cooked Navy beans and black-eyed peas with sausage and tasso and for a special treat I also cooked a ponce (a pig stomach stuffed with pork and Cajun spices then smoked) that was purchased a Le Jeune's Sausage Kitchen in Eunice.

Most of the guys at work had never eaten ponce, and they did not sound very enthused when I told them about it earlier in the week. Randy (who is from Ville Platte) and Steve (who's family used to have a popular butcher shop) had both cooked it before so with their guidance we got it done. We added some tasso and sausage to the ponce pot and made a good gravy.
Both the beans and the ponce went over big. Everyone tried the ponce and loved it. I expected to have leftover ponce for lunch tomorrow but it did not survive the day and I promised to make ponce again in the future.

We had a very quiet Saturday here at the refinery and now I am getting ready to go home, where I will post this on the blog.

Later,
Kenith

Aucun commentaire: