lundi, avril 03, 2006

My last day to not work was the night (Saturday before last) that I took off for my niece Recie’s wedding to Paul. I then worked Sunday night to Monday morning, slept until noonish. Worked around the house and spent time with the family. I was able to get back to sleep some time after one o’clock Tuesday morning and was up about 4:45 AM to start four days of overtime.




I finished my overtime on Friday afternoon and started my regular shift Saturday morning. This did give me as “seventh day” last week which means that Sunday I was paid double time. I hate not having my days off, but at least I will be well compensated this time around.

Recie and Paul had a nice wedding service at First Baptist Church in Longville. Brother Stewart did a great job. His comments about what marriage is all about were right on target. Both Morgan and Christian were in the wedding. Morgan was one of Recie’s bride’s maids and Christian was Paul’s best man.

I thing we all had a pretty good time at the reception afterwards. It was a Baptist wedding, but more a Presbyterian reception, with heavy Cajun influences, so we had music, dancing and a moderate amount of alcohol (a keg of beer and some stuff for mixed drinks) and plenty of food.

(NOTE: To find out what a good old Reformed wedding reception/celebration is really like I recommend you read Drinking With Calvin and Luther by Jim West. It is a fun and informative read. Even my Baptist co-worker "CC" Cudd says it is a great book.)

I think the South Louisiana custom of pinning cash to the bride’s vale in order to dance with her (women pin cash to the grooms coat to dance with him also) is a great tradition. I don’t know where the tradition comes from, but it does give the new couple a good bit of ready cash for the honeymoon.

The big event last week was Christian’s Labrador retriever had eight puppies (6 yellow, 2 black).

My evenings last week were fairly normal. I helped the little boys with their homework, they read to me, etc… We did go out to eat a few times, because the kitchen is gutted and we have no stove or oven.

Mk and Pastor Mark came over Friday night. We sat on the porch and talked and drank a little wine. Then Mk and I went to J. Priola’s to watch the LSU vs. UCLA game. The food was good as were the drinks, but LSU got hammered.

I work two more days and then I am on vacation.

Coram Deo,
Kenith

1 commentaire:

John Jackson a dit…

Hey sorry I haven't been keeping up with your blog. That sounds like a cool book though. Also, I'm glad the wedding went well. How do you know them?