dimanche, février 22, 2009

Work, work work. This last week I worked 88 hours and I'm scheduled for 60 hours for the up coming week. Lisa and I went out to eat last night and then dancing at a Mardi Gras dance at the Isle of Capri. Barry Badon and the Bayou Boys were playing, they are one of our favourite bands in the area. Lisa and I danced for a couple of hours and "passed a good time" but we had to head home early, because I had to get up before five so I could go to work this morning.

I'm not doing much with this amount of work, but I have been doing a little reading. I finished To Kill a Mocking Bird. I had never read it before and it is a GREAT novel about the old segregated South, just awesome. I'm still reading St. Clement of Alexandria. I loved reading his Exhortation to the Heathen and I'm now on the second book of his The Instructor. The first volume of The Instructor was very interesting and this second is also proving to be very good.

My favourite of the Church Fathers has, for some time, been St. Cyprian, the Bishop of Carthage. Cyprian will keep his first place slot, but I really like St. Clement too.

I've also been reading Max Hastings' book OVERLORD: D-Day and the Battle of Normandy. I've finished the first couple of chapters. Hastings is a great writer of history.

My daughter, Morgan, insists that I consume more fiction and she has loaded my iPod with a number of audiobooks. I've recently finished a couple of books by Neil Gaiman and I'm now on a third. I've finished Mirrormask and Coraline and I'm now listening to Stardust. I've been enjoying Gaiman's books. The're a lot of fun.

Gotta go.
Kenith

4 commentaires:

GumboFilé a dit…

I like "To Kill a Mockingbird" as well. I also like the movie. It's Robert Duvall's first movie appearance. He plays Boo Radley.

Another good novel I read recently was "Jayber Crow" by Wendell Berry. It was recommended to me by Stan (btw, Stan got engaged last week). I also like the novels of Garet Garet, available at mises.org, highly recommended by Jeffrey Tucker.

Cajun Huguenot a dit…

Cool! I'm always interested in good books to read.

That is good news about Stan. Tell him I'm waiting for the wedding invitation.

Oh, Did I mention that I just finished Murray Rothbard's America's Great Depression, which is also on mises.org.

Kenith

GumboFilé a dit…

I just started on "Meltdown" by Thomas Woods and I just got "Foundations of Morality" by Hazlitt and "The Left, The Right, & The State" by Rockwell. I recently re-read "Economics in One Lesson" by Hazlitt and "Larceny of the Heart" by Rushdoony. I also passed out several copies of both.

Cajun Huguenot a dit…

Cool.

Seep, his brother Gregg and I have been on a WWII kick. Seep is reading Retribution: The Battle For Japan 1944-45 by Max Hastings and I'm reading OVERLORD by Hastings as well.

Kenith