lundi, novembre 29, 2004

Yesterday was a beautiful South Louisiana fall day. Morgan and Christian went to Bethel Presbyterian Church and Lisa, the little boys and I went to Trinity Lutheran Church. Lisa and I meet with the Pastor (Rev. Duke) during the Sunday school hour.

We had a good visit. We learned some things about him, his family and his time in the ministry. He also gave Lisa and me a couple of copies of Luther’s Small Catechism and a small work book titled “I Have Good News For You” by Rev. Donald Ginkel.

The Pastor wanted us to read the section on the Sacraments (especially on the Lutheran view of the Eucharist). I have some knowledge of Lutheran teaching on this subject and I’m interested in reading what these to sources have to say on the matter.

Yesterday evening Christian was at work (Outback Steakhouse) and Morgan, Lisa, the little boys and I were all home. The boys have been wanting to light a fire in the fireplace, and last night I lit a fire in my first ever fireplace. All the family gathered around. Lisa sat crocheting, the little boys drew or watched the fire. Morgan read to us from The Magician’s Nephew, which is the first book in C.S. Lewis’ wonderful series the Chronicles of Narnia.

Morgan read the first four chapters aloud. I had not heard them since I read the series to Morgan and Christian when they were no older than the little boys are now. After the third chapter, Lisa announced that it was time for the little boys to take their baths. They asked if Morgan could read more if they took quick baths. Lisa consented and the boys quickly bathed, including washing their hair, and Morgan read one more chapter.

C.S. Lewis is a great writer, and this series is one of the greatest fantasy epics ever written. I have read a good bit of his stuff and all of it has been quite good. My favourite Lewis book is his small novel titled The Great Divorce.

After our reading and prayers, the boys went to bed, as did Lisa. Christian returned home from work about 9:30, and MK came over not long after that. Mike had a bottle of Jacob’s Creek Shiraz with him. I poured us each a glass and we sat and talked while drinking wine and eating cheese and Chex Cereal.

The big topic for us last night was about the similarities and differences between Reformed and Lutheran theologies. We did go for a walk after finishing the wine, but we did not get to pray, because our topic of discussion ran into overtime.

Soli Deo Gloria,
Kenith

Aucun commentaire: