lundi, mars 01, 2004


I've not blogged since Mardi Gras day which was a week ago so I will try and catch matters up a bit. I guess the big thing I did was go to see The Passion Of The Christ . I personally found it to be a very good show. I was able to see the movie because my good friend Gary J had an extra ticket for the 4: pm opening day feature and he called me and invited me to go with him and Liz (the wife of his youth).

Wednesday evening, while the movie was still fresh in my mind I wrote comments about it. I posted them on MrWonder’s Bible Chat. Keep in mind that much of what I wrote was in response to other's questions and criticisms. Here is what I wrote:

++++
First: This is a visually powerful movie and it is well made and not cheesy like so many "religious films" these days.

Second: On the subject of anti-Semitism This is what I have to say -- "If you find this movie anti-Semitic it's only because you've come to the movie predisposed to see anti-Semitism where it does not exist."

If this movie is anti-Semitic than so are the four Gospels and many of Paul's epistles. Gibson actually tones down the part played by the High Priest and Sanhedrin by editing out their words to Pilate where they say "His blood be on us and on our children." (Matt. 27:25)

Third: A non-Roman Catholic would likely have played down some of the Mary stuff, but GIbson, as a Roman Catholic, did not over do it either. I don't think he over does it in his portrayal of Mary, but had he pushed things much further he could have.

It is a good movie. I think some things could have been done differently, but I am not a writer, director or actor so I accept this as their movie. They did it their way and that’s that. It is very powerfully done and I think it is a good movie and highly recommend it to all.

It will not return America or Europe to their Christian foundations (no movie can), but it can be used as a powerful tool in the proclamation of the Gospel.
++++

I then add these following comments:

++++
The resurrection scene is very well done, and though short it makes the point. Had I been the writer or director I would have added to it, but I was not. Still even though short it is powerfully done and leaves no doubt that Jesus, who was dead, is risen from the dead.

Remember the title of the movie is "The Passion" and that has to do with the crucifixion of Christ. Gibson did not shrink from the Gospel. He presented Christ as Messiah, the Son of God and God who died for our sins and and conquered death when He rose again from the dead.

If I were a movie maker, I would have done several things differently, but I am not and never will be.

This movie harkens back to a time when Christian themes were treated respectfully by Hollywood. It is a great movie that stays very close to the Gospels. Gibson does do a few Hollywood things, but even these (for the most) part are well done.

I hope everyone will go see it and Gibson makes a ton of money. Then perhaps one or two Hollywood types will at least see that it pays to treat Christian subjects respectfully.
++++

I was told that my pastor spoke out strongly against the movie this last Sunday (I had to work and missed Sunday services). From what I have heard I am sure I understand his position, though I differ with it. Then again, I have never met a person (even a fellow Reformed Christian) with whom I agree with on every point. I even disagree with John Calvin, R.J. Rushdoony, Greg Bahnsen and Rev. Ron Davis (my late Bro-in-law) on some matters, and they are the Christian preachers and theologians that I claim as my dearest theological mentors.

The only other interesting thing I did last week was go to another wine tasting event at Café Margaux last Friday. MK made it as did Gary and Liz, and Jimmy and Lois, as well as Jennifer, Karen and a number of other people I know. I did purchase a couple of bottles of one of the Merlot’s that we tasted. The best wine there was a Cabernet, but it was $45 dollars a bottle. That is way over what I can afford to pay for a good bottle of wine.

I worked all weekend and today I am being taken off shift, and therefore I have to start working week days today for 8 hour days. So now I won’t be following my shift or my normal crew. I would be working off today and would have been off until Friday evening. Now I will be working from 7-3 all week and will be off for the weekend.

This is all because of my broken ribs. I did get them x-rayed again Thursday. The good news is the broken parts are touching again. The bad news is they haven’t yet started to mind.

Coram Deo,
Kenith

Aucun commentaire: