vendredi, mai 07, 2004


I worked off shift Wednesday morning. I slept all that day. I have tried to get up early in the past but I am both useless and miserable when I do that, so if I go ahead and sleep, I’m still useless but I ‘m rested and feel a lot better. Wednesday was a wash. Did a little around the house and had the little boys read to me before putting them to bed. I pay them for reading, which motivates them to do so.

I was up late that evening. We had a small family emergency that kept me up until about 3 in the morning, I likely could not have fallen asleep much before that anyway. This small emergency seems to have resolved itself to the benefit of all. I hope so, and there seems to be good reason for such optimism.

I slept in a bit on Thursday. My dad called about 10 in the morning. He was on his way to pick me up. We went to work on an old trailer house for my nieces Shannon. It is my late brother Gerry’s old place. It is in very bad shape and we are hoping to make it livable. Gerry and his family moved from there 10 or more years ago. He allowed some of his wife’s kin people to live there for almost nothing. They were supposed to keep the place up. They did not do a good job keeping their end of the bargain very well.

Shannon’s husband is in Iraq. He is one of the those soldiers that was supposed to have returned home but had his time in that bloody God forsaken place extended. Dad and I worked on the place with Shannon. We worked as long as my dad was able. We got a good deal done before dad was to tired to continue. Then we called it quits.

I spent the rest of the daylight hours at home with the family. The boys and I went for a walk. We stopped at the cow pasture to chat. There I sat down in the grass and I explained the Eucharist to them and asked them questions. We then continued our walk.

That evening I propositioned the little boys with a fishing trip. They both wanted to go and Lisa gave her blessing. The boys and I headed to my parents house to spend the night. We got there late, about 10:30, and mom and dad were already in bed. Mom had prepared us all a place to sleep. Grif was asleep before we got there. I placed Grif in a bed and Haden laid on a couch near me.

I stayed up reading until after 1 in the morning. Next morning Mom got up and made coffee, bacon and eggs for the boys and me. After we ate the little boys and I headed for Brian and Sandy’s pond. We fished for a while. Haden was, as usual, the first to become bored with fishing, He went off playing with the paddle boat and other interesting items. Grif and I fished a good bit longer. The fish were not biting real well, but we caught several nice size perch, enough to make a meal for a few people.

Eventualy both boys gave up fishing. and we then went for canoe ride. Then we went for an extended ride in Sandy’s paddle boat. The boys worked the paddle and I worked the rudder. The boys enjoyed this boat much more than the canoe. It is almost impossible to turn over, so I didn't make them wear life jackets. I would never allow such a thing in the canoe.

We had great fun paddling around the pond. We then returned to Mom’s house for dinner (the noon meal). After a good meal of Lima beans, bacon and rice, I then cleaned the fish and we headed back to town. I brought the fish to my in-laws. The boys and I visited with them for and hour are so.

I am blessed with wonderful in-laws. They are fine people and have always supported Lisa and me without the least bit of interference in our marriage. Lisa and I both have very good people for in-laws. This is important. I can’t count the number of friends and family members whose marriages have suffered because of bad (sorry) in-laws.

After a good visit on the back porch with my maw and paw-in-law, the boys and I headed home. Lisa and I worked in the yard for the rest of the afternoon. She and all the boys are now asleep, Morgan is at the college working on an art project, as his her boyfriend.

I am drinking a glass, or two of wine, or maybe three (perhaps four) and watching the movie Rob Roy on DVD as I write this. Rob Roy is a good movie, but it has some very hard scenes in it. Still I like this movie a lot. In it a man, does what he must for the sake of honour. I like honour.

Honour is an old quaint concept lost in the modern, and even more so in the post-modern world. I'm a dinosaur and should not exist in either the modern or post-modern world. I hope to see the return of honour and the death of the modern and post-modern world. (note:My beloved brother Gerry too was a dinosaur. DEO VINDICE)

I will now say a Cajun "bon nuit" (good night).

Coram Deo,
Kenith

Aucun commentaire: