samedi, mai 15, 2004

There has been almost constant rain this week. I worked Days at the refinery from Tuesday thru Friday, which is a busy time for us. When our shift got to work Tuesday morning we found that one of our Reformer units was down and the powers that be were trying to decide what to do. The unit came down because the CCR was in trouble. That shutdown kept us busy all week, especially my buddy Craig Cudd.

I assigned him to take care of the shut downed CCR, when I thought it was not such a major task. I has turned into a near full blown turnaround and he is having to work today and perhaps tomorrow (on our days off).

I promised him that I would sign up for overtime next time we are on call so he will be not be on call.

Christian, Morgan and Lisa are at work and I am home with the little boys and my nephew Ryan, who has been staying with us for about a week now. They are all playing with the Game Cube. I’m going to read to them as soon as they finish the next game then they will both have to read to me.

I am going to encourage Ryan to read the Bible while I do read with the little boys.

I’ve finished A Prayer For Owen Meany by John Irving. It is the first novel that I’ve read in a long time. The man is certainly a talented writer and I though a lot of much of his style, but some of his sexual stuff was, though there is not a lot of it in the 545 page book, still I thought it to be out of place and superfluous to the story. The basic story was pretty good, but I feel the climax was somewhat anticlimactic.

I think Mr. Irving’s religious and political views that appear in his book are certainly on the liberal end of the spectrum (which is not unusual). He is able to express those views through the main character in the book. Irving’s knowledge of recent history is clearly shown in the work. Much of the book was entertaining, but over all I would give it a “just ok” rating.

I am currently listening to Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov. I was hesitant to get this book, because of my past experience with Russian authors. I wanted to read this book because I have heard a good bit about it. So far it is good on tape.

I plan to turn back to non-fiction in my personal reading, which is my preferred type of reading. I may read a biography, a theological work or perhaps both.

Coram Deo,
Kenith

Aucun commentaire: