mercredi, avril 14, 2004


We got good news from MK today. Lisa hasn’t been feeling well and had a few tests run. Mike, though he isn’t her regular doctor, took a look at the results and he said things looked ok. MK said that her doctor may want to run another test but we were happy with the news he gave us.

I’m working 10 hour days this week, and next, filling in for Patrick L. at the plant. Patrick is in Houston for two weeks working on plans for a new unit we are going to build soon. Patrick’s knowledge and experience far exceeds my own, so I know I’ll not be able to do his job nearly as well has he does it, but it’s a good change of pace for me, and I might even learn a few things while doing it.

I have started listening to a knew set of tapes from Books on Tape . The title of this set is Nicholas and Alexandra and it is by Robert K. Massie (as was the biography of Peter the Great). I own this book and was planning to read it soon but I found the book on tape at the library and have decided to listen to it instead. This volume is read by Wolfram Kandinsky who also read for Peter the great.

I took Russian History in high school and I’ve always found it interesting. I get on “kicks” at times and concentrate in my reading and study on particular subjects. I guess I’m on a bit of a Russian kick for now. I’ve not read much by Russian authors. The only Russian author have been able to read for any period of time has been Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. I read his Nobel Prize winning work The Gulag Archipelago while aboard ship in the Navy. I’ve been a fan of Solzhenitsyn since that time. Some years ago I also read One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich , which is another great work by Solzhenitsyn.

I’ve tried to read other Russian writer, but not with much luck. I attempted to read Leo Tolstoy’s The Cossacks, but I didn’t get very far. I have read some short stories by Dostoyevsky, though not many. I did notice that the public library has his The Brothers Karamazov on tape, which I have wanted to attempt to read for some time. I think I will try it on tape first.

I've listened to far more lectures on theology, history and economics, etc. than I’ve listened to recorded books, but I am enjoying this change to books. I’m sure I will switch back to the other stuff soon enough.

I have to get up and go to work in the morning so its time for me to go to bed.

Coram Deo,
Kenith

Aucun commentaire: